A good spokesperson is vital to any business wanting to build their profile and reputation. They put a human face to the organisation and can effectively communicate your messages to the public and the media.
Businesszone has provided some top tips for being a good spokesperson.
Whether it’s being interviewed by the media, speaking at events or addressing stakeholders, a great company spokesperson needs to:
- Understand the media: Have an understanding of a journalist’s role and know how you to communicate with them effectively. This will help you to get your message across in the media.
- Know your target audience: Know the people you want to hear your messages and use language to communicate to them.
- Deliver the business’ key messages: Before addressing the media or the public think about the three key points you want to convey.
- Speak with clarity: Be concise and don’t speak too fast.
- Keep their composure: In a difficult situation a great spokesperson will keep their composure and not lose focus. Your business will be painted with a bad reputation if a spokesperson responds negatively to any disruption or question.
- Be prepared: Think about all the questions you could be asked and develop an answer for them before the interview.
- Relax: Look like you are in control of the situation and you will appear more confident and credible.
- Don’t avoid any questions: If you don’t answer a question it looks like you have something to hide and a journalist will probe you for more information.
A great spokesperson can make the difference between a positive reputation for your business and a bad one.
Who do you think is a great company spokesperson and why?
Read the full article here.
Sydney Public Relations Agency, CP Communications provides specialist media, traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.