Most people have an email address and use it either for work or keeping in touch with family and friends. You can use email to send regular updates to people interested in your work.
Sending a regular email or e-newsletter is it a great way to share your stories. It can also be a powerful marketing tool providing useful information to the reader while indirectly promoting your business.
• Your database. The first step is to create a database of people to send the email to. This can be as simple as collecting names of people you meet and your customers (asking if they would like to receive your newsletter). Keep their names in one location, in a word document or even in a paper folder.
• Make it regular. People like to hear your news, so keep the e-newsletter regular. There is no point in sending out an e-newsletter whenever you get around to it. It should be at least once a month.
• Make it relevant. The content obviously needs to be appealing to your readership. Have a think about what type of information they may find interesting. Under no circumstances use the opportunity to sell to your readers. It is about creating a sense of community and sharing your expertise with them. Keep your articles short and keep your sentences and paragraphs short. Use plain language and always check for spelling and typos before sending it.
• Make it easy to read. The layout needs to be easy to read. Many people just scan e-newsletters to find the stories that interest them. Stats shows that 51 seconds is all we usually spend scanning an e-newsletter and most people won’t read past the first three items on your list.
• Importantly include a table of contents at the top of the e-newsletter so readers can decide what to read.
• Never spam. Always ask people to opt in to receive the newsletter. So make it easy to subscribe and unsubscribe. Frustrated subscribers are not likely to return. There must be a simple Unsubscribe link. The email must clearly state the sending organisation and why it was sent.
Sydney Public Relations Agency, CP Communications provides specialist media, traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.