Before you decide to take the plunge and join the social media world, you’ll need to think about important issues such as what you are going to post and how much time you will spend on sites such as Twitter and Facebook. There are many common mistakes that can prevent you from attracting followers. Kristine Lowder of Business 2 Community has put forward seven pitfalls to avoid.
- Self-centred posting. Instead of posting about yourself, engage your readers with tips, tools, advice and links. Leverage your expertise into a shared resource. Don’t forget to respond and retweet.
- Opening an account and using it once in a blue moon. You need to post on a reasonably regular basis in order to retain and attract followers. Keep your profile information up-to-date.
- Posting boring content. In the competitive world of social media, it’s vital to offer new information or a fresh perspective.
- Using profanity. It’s unprofessional and a big turn-off.
- Wordiness. Offer value, not volume – keep your posts short and to the point, and choose content based on your intended audience.
- Expecting to be an overnight heavyweight. Building a large following takes time and effort, but if you schedule some time each day for social media and post quality content you will set yourself up for success.
- Taking your readers for granted. Social media is about community. Think dialogue, not monologue, and focus on building relationships.
Above all, remember that social media is not about promotion. Offer useful content, not spam, and focus on networking and building friendships. The right approach can turn your social media efforts into an excellent business tool.
Read the full article here.
Sydney Public Relations Agency, CP Communications provides specialist media, traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.