I am always raving about how important networking is! It is an essential element in every PR strategy. I am constantly on the look out for new networking groups I can go along to and Neerav Bhatt has put together a great list meet ups for people interested in Information Technology / Web Industry / New Media etc in Sydney. Many of them are free or small cover charge. Here are a few from his list:
* Friday Social Coffee breakfasts – these are held every Friday morning from around 7am-10am at the Single Origin cafe (60 Reservoir st, Surry Hills) and are usually attended by people in the marketing / advertising / technology consulting fields. There is no particular organiser, just turn up.
* Silicon Beach – is held on Friday evenings after work at 5pm, Bar77 upstairs at the Grace Hotel (77 York Street, Sydney) and is usually attended by entrepreneurs in the Australian Information, Communications and Technology sector who work for themselves or in small companies where they don’t get to socialise with other people with similar interests. Nominally organised by Elias Bizannes & Mick Liubinskas but you can just turn up – Check Twitter or ask Elias or Mick if you have any questions.
* Fourth Estate Domain (FED) Sydney – Australia’s leading forum for people at the nexus of media & technology. Created by Sally Mills and Mike Walsh they host a monthly interview with one of the top CEO’s, thought leaders or pioneers in the space. Forget powerpoint presentations. The FED is about frank, entertaining and open discussion on the infamous interview couch. Join the FED Mailing list to be told about meetup times & dates.
* Wiki Wednesdays – are held on a irregular basis and at different locations but the short talks and discussions thereafter are always related to Wikis and they’re always on a Wednesday. Go to their website to RSVP so the organiser James Matheson knows how many people will be attending.
* Open Coffee Sydney – is about creating a regular, informal, meeting place for people involved in, or who want to be involved in, the Startup Industry. There hadn’t been a regular place for all the entrepreneurs, investors, developers, creatives and anyone else with an interest in startups to just hang out until this meetup group started. Meetups are on Thursday mornings at 8am in a Coffee shop in the Sydney CBD – RSVP via their Meetup.com group.
* Sydney Online Business Owners is a group that meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month – chech their website to RSVP and see the meetup location. It’s made up of people with existing online businesses, people getting startups of the ground and people with ideas trying to work out how to get them started.
* @STUB is the main place for the Sydney Twitter community to announce meetups to drink and have a chat (the bar tab is often sponsored by technology companies) but plenty of other more ad-hoc events are held by Sydney Twitter members including Trivia nights, trips to the beach, picnics etc.
Sydney Public Relations Agency, CP Communications provides specialist media, traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.