Networking is an essential skill that every public relations practitioner should obtain. It may even help you land your first job or move up in the industry!
Networking is all about talking to people to create new relationships and build up a series of connections in the industry.
Many graduates have gained a job or internship by creating a relationship with people already working in public relations.
Ambience has provided some helpful networking tips for PR graduates:
- Get involved: Start by attending networking events in your industry. Introduce yourself to people at the event and start a conversation with them. Try to create a great first impression that they will remember next time a job opportunity arises in their company.
- Join organisations: You should join a public relations organisation such as the Public Relations Institute of Australia (PRIA). Organisations hold many events attended by industry professionals. These events allow you to discover new agencies, new people and new opportunities.
- Talk to everyone: Always be friendly and talk to as many people as you can. You never know who you might meet at an event, on the train or even in your local community.
- Sell yourself: Create your own business cards detailing your contact information and degree. Be prepared to talk about yourself and pitch yourself to potential employers.
- Use social media: Create a LinkedIn account and connect with other PR professionals. They can view your resume via your profile, which is a great way to promote yourself.
Start networking today and make connections in the PR industry. You might even discover a great job opportunity!
Read the full article here.
Sydney Public Relations Agency, CP Communications provides specialist media, traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.