If you’re already using Twitter you may have noticed this sign ‘#’ and wondered what it meant. Usually the sign is followed by words or characters that relate to a particular topic. The sign and the following words are called a hashtag.
Hashtags allow Twitter followers to categorise their tweets and search for other people’s tweets easily. For example, if you wanted to search for other people’s tweets about public relations you could type in the hashtag #publicrelations. If you wanted other followers to see your tweet about social media then you could include the hashtag #socialmedia in your tweet.
Entrepreneur has provided some excellent tips on how businesses can use hashtags on Twitter.
- Create a hastag for your business: You can create an original hashtag for your business so that your followers can easily identify you. Try to include your business name or a topic relevant to your business.
- Hashtags can drive conversations about your business: You can organise the conversation about your business when other people use your hashtag.
- Measure your reach on Twitter: By searching for your hashtag on Twitter you can count the number of tweets and people who have used your hashtag. This is a great way to measure how many people you have reached with your message.
- Promote events: You can host a business event and create a seperate hashtag for it. Encourage attendees to use the hashtag when tweeting about the event. This will help promote your business and organise the conversation around your event.
- Find new customers: Hashtags allow you to see tweets from other Twitter users that you do not follow. This means you can find new customers or new followers who are interested in your business.
Many people overuse hashtags or use them incorrectly. Too many hashtags can distract your Twitter followers from your message and make it harder to read your tweets. Try to use just one or two relevant hashtags to make the most of your tweet.
Read the full article here.
Sydney Public Relations Agency, CP Communications provides specialist media, traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.