Journalists hate receiving generic story angles. They are often overwhelmed and overworked, so don’t have the time to come up with interesting angles related to your business.
For this reason, it is essential to research the publication and the type of readers before you contact the journalist with your story idea.
When you approach a journalist with a compelling and interesting PR story angle, you are much more likely to capture their attention and interest.
Here are our five top tips for finding great PR story angles you can use to pitch to journalists.
1. Brainstorm using the newspaper or trade journal. Get into the habit of reading your paper with a notebook and pen in hand. Scan the headlines of each section and ask yourself, “What is in the news today that ties in with what I want to promote?”
2. Use surveys to craft solid story ideas. The media views quantitative data as newsworthy, accurate, and sidebar-friendly. Launch a survey, or piggyback on survey results that relate to your industry to create a strong story.
3. Listen to questions your clients and customers ask you. Are you suddenly hearing lots of people asking the same question? Listen closely to your customers and clients when they talk about their pain points and issues. A trend may be starting that you can tie into.
4. Read trade publications to spot industry trends. What is the buzz in your trade publications? What are new developments in your field? Use your access to this information to shape a story and build on buzz that is already happening in your field.
5. Find story ideas in the course of your daily routine. Keep a notebook and pay attention to story-worthy events that pop up in the course of your day. Make sure you capture these ideas as they come to you. You’ll be surprised at how many arise when you least expect it.
Through implementing our tips above and doing some preparation before contacting a journalist, you are much more likely to get media coverage in your business that can propel you into the spotlight.
Unlock the secret of free media publicity. Get your Publicity Acceleration Pack with over 5000 media outlets, real life media hooks, story ideas, and case studies. Don’t miss out! UnknownToExpertFaster.com
Sydney Public Relations Agency, CP Communications provides specialist media, traditional and online PR strategies that get amazing results. Contact us today. For more great tips visit our website www.cpcommunications.com.au.